Traditionally, call centers are places where a lot of people occupy the same space answering phones, soliciting business, taking orders and/or troubleshooting consumer problems. The environment is extremely noisy and usually extremely Spartan in furnishings. The typical boiler room has half-height cubicle walls separating people who may have nothing more than a computer and a telephone with a headset. This surely isn’t conducive to working an eight hour shift since there are no creature comforts. At Americon, we design work environments that are ergonomically sound and stimulate productivity.
There are a number of factors to consider when designing a call center workstation:
- Since call centers run multiple shifts each day, it is important that the workstation is totally adjustable for people of all sizes and shapes.
- All workstations must meet ADA requirements for the physically impaired.
- The workstation should promote spatiality in a crowded environment.
- Workstations should be adjustable from sit to stand to relieve the stress of being in one position for eight hours at a time.
- Above counter paper and manual storage should be mounted within arm’s reach.
- If there is a CPU, it is important that it’s tucked away in a place that doesn’t restrict leg room.
- A personal workspace management system that controls heat to warm legs on cold days and a variable speed desktop fans is well worth it the investment.
- All tools should be in arm’s reach and easily accessible while responding to or making a call.
- Some sort of lockable personal storage is also a desirable addition that makes the work station feel like home.
- Sound absorbent fabrics barriers and headsets will help to reduce noise levels.
- Barriers between operators should be high enough to give privacy but low enough to communicate over the top.
- The ability of a supervisor to listen in on a separate set of head phones at the workstation while the calltaker is working with the caller.
- The workstation should be rugged and designed to withstand day to day abuse.
- A durable 24×7 adjustable chair is a necessity.